Trinity down Thomians 31-20 | Sunday Observer

Trinity down Thomians 31-20

13 August, 2023

Trinity College made use of their good knowledge in rugby and took the advantage of having taken an early lead to beat S. Thomas’ College by 31 points (4 tries, 4 conversions, 1 penalty) to 20 (2 tries, 2 conversions, 2 penalties) in their inter-school rugby encounter played at Mount Lavinia yesterday.

With this win Trinity retained the Canon RS de Saram Shield for another year.

The Thomians made a gallant effort to come back with their heavy forwards and put the pressure on Trinity but could not continue that pattern late in the second half.

Trinity opened scoring in the fifth minute when forward Chamod Dehigama barged over for a try unchallenged.

Shan Althaf put over the easy conversion to take full points.

Trinity scored again through Jeywin Samarakoon and with Althaf adding the extra points they took a commanding 14-nil lead by the tenth minute.

The Thomians managed to reduce on the deficit when their reliable place kicker Yehan Bulathsinghalage put over a penalty.

But three minutes later Trinity increased on the lead when Senula Alexandar went over for a try off a three-quarter move.

Althaf added the extra points to give them 21 points on the board.

The Thomians added another three points through a Bulathsinghalage penalty and after a series of forwards ploys and prop Hakeem went over for a try. Bulathsinghalage added the extra points and the Thomians reduced on the deficit on the stroke of half time.

Trinity led 21-13 at the half way mark.

Once again soon after the turn around Trinity scored a good try when Chamod Dehigama scored his second try after receiving a pass from Kumarasinghe.

Althaf added the extra points and Trinity increased on the lead 28-13.

The Thomians fought back gallantly and having made a determined effort worked their backs to send winger Dewshan Navaratne over the line.

Bulathsinghalage made certain of adding the extra points that reduced their deficit to just eight points, 20-28.

However, Trinity again made an advance into the Thomian territory and received a penalty which gave Althaf an easy kick to give them victory by 31 points to 20.

Hashantha Weranga refereed.