Thomians win opener against Wesley | Sunday Observer

Thomians win opener against Wesley

18 June, 2023

In a mixture of scrappiness and tidiness S. Thomas’ College held on to their stance and beat Wesley College by 19 points (2 tries, 3 penalties) to 13 (a try, a conversion, 2 penalties) in their inter-school Dialog league rugby encounter played at Mount Lavinia yesterday.

Both teams displayed some rustiness at the beginning of the season as seen every time a season begins. Both teams made some mistakes in decision making when they had possession and this made the game a bit scrappy.

The Thomians scored first in the second minute of the game when the Wesley players infringed and fullback Yehan Bulathsinhalage took the penalty kick from 22 metres out with success.

The Thomians scored again in the 14th minute when the Wesley forwards were seen not rolling off the maul and once again Bulathsinhalage kicked right from 30 metres out.

The Thomians increased the lead when they had a penalty near the Wesley line. They took a quick short tap and hooker Dehan Senaratne barged over for a try and the Thomians led 11-0.

Wesley began settling down from this point and handled the ball among their players. They kept advancing into the Thomian line and off a series of moves they scored a try by Chamod Nimsara in the 31st minute.

Full back Abdul Hadee converted the try and Wesley narrowed the gap to four points.

Half time was taken with the scores on 11-7 in favour of the Thomians.

Both teams played with determination in the second half and the Thomians were determined to increase the lead keeping possession.

Wesley too had an equal share of possession but they often made the mistake of kicking it away. The Thomians got the opportunity to increase the lead when they were offered a penalty and Bulathsingalage converted to add three more points.

Then it was Wesley’s turn to add three more points when Hadee put over a penalty to make it 10-14.

Wesley again were awarded another penalty when the Thomians were not releasing the ball in the loose.

Hadee put over the conversion and reduced the deficit to just one point.

In the dying minutes of the game S. Thomas’ were awarded a penalty and taking a quick short tap, Hakeem barged over for a try that went unconverted.

Raneeth Wiranga refereed.