Isipathana knock-out Joes 19/17 for semi final berth | Sunday Observer

Isipathana knock-out Joes 19/17 for semi final berth

7 July, 2019
Isipathana winger Ramitha de Silva races for the try line  Pic Saman Mendis
Isipathana winger Ramitha de Silva races for the try line Pic Saman Mendis

The powerful pack from the green machine Isipathana College ensured a place in the semi-final of the Milo President’s Knock-out Trophy rugby tournament when they beat St. Joseph’s College by 19 points (3 tries, 2 conversions) to 17 (2 tries, 2 conversions, a penalty) in their quarter-final worked off at the Royal Sports Complex yesterday.

Isipathana’s Ramitha de Silva played a major role in their win as he scored two tries in the first half which gave them 14-10 lead at half time.

St Joseph’s kicked off the game and scored first in the sixth minute when they were awarded a penalty due to a dangerous tackle. Star place kicker Santhush Algama made no mistake with the kick to lead 3-0.

Soon after that Isipathana went into action that saw Ramith de Silva scoring his first try in the 13th minute. Ruberu made certain of the conversion to take the lead 7-3.

Isipathana continued to work the ball among their backs and Ramith de Silva was able to cross the goal line again in the 21st minute. Rubeyru made certain with the conversion to take a 14-3 lead at that point.

The Joes scored their first try through their hard working forwards who after a sequence of mauls saw burly prop forward Shevon Gregory barge over near the posts. Algama made certain of the conversion and reduced on the deficit to four points.

After the turn around the Joes used their forwards to good effect and another forwards ploy saw them cross the goal line with Shevon Gregory scoring his second try. Santhush Algama kicked accurately and the Joes went ahead 17-14.

Thereafter Isipathana played a tactical game using their backs to gain ground. Then they had a chance to get closer to the Joes goal line through a penalty which they kicked out for a line out. They won the line out and off a rolling maul scored through Venura Kodagoda near the corner flag. Rubeyru missed the conversion but Isipathana took the lead 19-17 in the 64th minute.

In the last minute Algama attempted a 55 metre penalty which fell short of the bar and with it Isipathana cleared the ball for referee Rohan Fernando to blow his final whistle.