
After a week of fierce protesting, the Negombo fishermen had a relatively calm week, coming to an agreement with the government, on sand mining to build the Port City. The Secretary to the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development Nihal Rupasinghe said, the fishermen’s demands were reasonable and that the government is happy to oblige.
The Ministry and the fishermen agreed on seven conditions last week, as regards the sand mining in Negombo. The 3-4 km distance from the coast has been extended to 9-10 km for mining.
“The fishermen’s request was to mine sand beyond the reef that runs parallel to the coastal line, approximately 10 km from the coast.” Rupasinghe said, the National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency (NARA) is in charge of measuring the distances for approval, to begin sand mining. Mining will be restricted during the monsoon periods.
Further, complying with the fishermen’s request, the government has granted permission for them to continue fishing in the sea while sand mining continues. Rupasinghe explained that though there had not been any restrictions earlier, the new agreement has made it clear in writing.
In addition, Rs. 150 million has been allocated for social development projects for fishermen in Negombo, and Rs. 2 million each for 75 Fishermen’s Associations.
The Archbishop of Colombo, Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, who had been critical about the plight faced by the fishermen, issued a statement commending the recent steps taken to uplift the living standards of the affected fishing families, while the project is ongoing.
Meanwhile, the Sunday Observer spoke to Rev. Fr. Sarath Iddamalgoda about the fishermen’s reaction to the new proposal and to look back at the preceding events.
Q: What is the current status of the protest against the sand mining project in Negombo?
The protest has now ended. The government and the protesters have agreed on continuing sand mining 10km away from the coast as opposed to 3-4km which was the earlier proposal, in addition to the seven conditions for sand mining recommended by the government.
Q: What is the response from fishermen for the new conditions?
The leaders of community groups who led the protest the week before last, seem to be jubilant about its outcome. They consider it a victory, where their demands were heeded and solutions given. However, there are some who are still suspicious, and are waiting to observe how the arrangement is implemented, and respond accordingly.
Q: What kind of response have you received recently from the government?
The government has presented a very positive picture of the project, that it would bring great financial benefits to the country, without causing harm to the people. We were told that if by any chance some are victimised during the period the project is implemented, they would be aptly compensated, and that a sum of Rs. 5 million has already been allocated for that.
On several occasions meetings were held to inform the people about the official position of the government, but this time, there was a willingness, to listen to the views of the people. Could you explain the responses you have received throughout, from the government, regarding the matter.
The problem is, there was no willingness to listen to us earlier. We were ignored throughout.
The movement against the Port City was never called for consultation although we have presented petitions, to the Secretaries of the President and Prime Minister.
We presented our views on the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) as well, but were not called for a discussion nor did they acknowledge the views we presented. The initial protests began years ago. Could you explain the protests under the previous regime.
The first public protest was organized in Negombo in December 2014. It was organized by the All Ceylon Fishermen’s Trade Union, demanding to stop the Port City project, mainly due to the damages it cause to the sea and the coast. A depletion of fish in the sea and loss of livelihoods were expected as a result of the project in Negombo.
Meanwhile, many individuals, civil society groups and religious organizations got interested in the issue and agreed to support the campaign as a People’s Movement against the Port City.
A group of potential victims filed a case against the Project, at the Human Rights Commission, which held a hearing as well. This is when the former Opposition made it an election promise to stop the Port City project.
The second protest was held on March 3, 2015, and subsequently the Port City project was stopped by the government during the same month, following which, a committee was appointed by the Prime Minister to prepare the EIA. Meanwhile, the All Ceylon Fisher Trade Union filed a fundamental rights violation case in the Supreme Court and another case for a writ application by the Centre for Environmental Justice.
On 6 April, there was a protest at Galle Face, where petitions were presented to the Secretaries of the President and PM.
Q: What happened to the responses the public submitted in January, to the Coast Conservation Department?
About 300 people marched in procession from Maradana to the Coast Conservation Department and presented their views in writing about the project. We expected the authorities to call us for a meeting of consultation, but nothing happened.
Q: You have previously referred to this project as the Financial Project?
The project was baptized by the PM as the Colombo Financial City, but nothing substantial was changed in its content.
Could you explain the flaws seen in the environmental assessment reports submitted on the matter. One of the main limitations was the absence of an evaluation by an expert on marine science, although it is a project related to the sea.
Further, from the expert comments included in the assessment reports, one is said to be supportive of the Chinese interest in the project.
Additionally, there has been no serious study conducted on the impact of rock mining in the interior of the country and on communities living around the area.
There was also inaccurate information disseminated, e.g., it says the number of fishermen in the Negombo Fisheries Division is 9,000, whereas there are about 30,000 fisher people in Negombo.
There was very little consultation done to prepare the EIA. It was published for public scrutiny in December, the month during which the people in Negombo concentrate more on the festive season than anything else.
Another aspect is the nature of the report presented to the people requesting their views. It was a very technical report which the ordinary man could hardly understand.
If the authorities were serious about people’s views they should have presented a version of it in a more simple format / language